Friday, September 14, 2007

"Can Someone Really Choose Joy?"

"How do you get joy?" One answer was, "well, it comes down to a choice. You just choose joy like your attitude." Now wait a second, can you really "choose" joy? I know I've experienced joy in times of sorrow, pain and struggle, but I don't think I have ever chosen joy. The word "choose" can mean to want or desire something (which I can agree with desiring joy); but it can also mean to decide to do something (which gives a notion that the ability to create joy exists within you). Then, I realized maybe the question is wrong. Maybe the question should be, "How do you love God and others better?" Questions are great at showing the motivation behind what we want to know. A better question in this case might be, "Where does joy come from?"

Joy, I have come to find is happiness in Christ. This kind of joy is not found anywhere apart from Christ. So, can we really achieve or maintain joy? I guess my question: "can we really choose joy?" could be rephrased as: "Is joy an action that we take?" If we could choose to have joy apart from God, then we wouldn't need God.

When we ask how to have joy, we are seeking a goal of joy. Our goal shouldn't be to have joy. To love God and others, should be our goal. God should be the object or direction of our worship. Everyone worships. We either worship God or something else. We all worship something, but it can't be both God and something else. If joy is the goal to attain, then joy becomes our idol we worship. God will take that idol away to show the direction or motivation of our obsession. For instance, I can try to make sure someone doesn't stumble or struggle just so that they don't have a chance to fall into despair. What am I doing? What is my motivation? I want them to be pain free, free of hardship and struggle. Ah, this is my idol, to be free of pain or hardship. God will see the idol and put struggle in my path so that I have to choose who I worship (to expose the motivation of my heart). Is my heart directed towards the God in the Heavens who knows my every word, thought, deed and loves me intimately or is it my "pain-free" idol. Do I choose to trust God and obey Him amidst the struggle or do I sit in misery and despair where there is no joy or peace. When we are in misery or despair, all we see is the muck from ourselves and are hopeless. "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God." Romans 8:28 God may have placed that struggle there for our good. God is in control and He is the One who calms the storm.

Joy is a fruit of the Spirit (who is God). Therefore, joy is a by-product of walking in the Spirit. Even Christ had joy as He endured the cross, because He had the Spirit. Joy is a gift God gives to us as we trust and obey Him. We can have pain and sorrow and have joy as we trust God's character and walk in the Spirit.

I encourage you to read the Bible and study for yourself for I am only a woman who seeks truth and still am capable of error. Although, let this be an encouragement in your own journey with Christ.

1 comment:

Stephanie Rohloff said...

Diane Hi! Wow, it is a long weird strain of clicking that led me to find your blog! How are you? I haven't seen you in so long!! I enjoyed your most recent post.
In case you are wondering who this crazy person emailing you is...I was once Stephanie Tieman, but now I am Stephanie Rohloff...Anywho, How are you?? You got married Congratulations!